World shares veer lower after BOJ holds pat
Apr. 28, 2016 5:29 AM ETBy: Yigal Grayeff, SA News Editor4 Comments
- Global equities have fallen after the Bank of Japan caused a bit of a surprise and decided not to add to its already massive stimulus program.
- Following a hawkish/dovish wash of a FOMC statement yesterday after the Fed held interest rates at 0.25-0.5%, markets are now eyeing U.S. Q1 GDP data, which is due out this morning. Economic growth is estimated to have slipped to 0.7% from 0.9% previously.
- In Asia, Japan -3.6% to 16666. Hong Kong -0.1% to 21347. China -0.1% to 9595. India -1.4% to 25699.
- In Europe, Euro Stoxx 50 -1.7%, London -1.3%. Paris -1.5%. Frankfurt -1.4%, Milan -0.9%, Madrid -2.5%.
- U.S. stock futures: Dow -0.9%, S&P -0.9%, Nasdaq -0.6%.