Same-store restaurant sales dip in April
- Same-store restaurant sales fell 0.4% in April as the later Easter holiday this year impacted the comparison to a year ago, according to tracking conducted by TDn2K.
- Higher average spending per guest wasn't quite enough to offset a sharp 3.5% drop in same-store traffic.
- Same-store traffic is down 3.05% on a rolling three-month basis.
- TDn2K breakdown: "The industry was lapping over one of the strongest months in same-store sales growth last year. When taking in a longer-term view of sales, the two-year growth rate of 0.9 percent during April still reflects a growing industry. Furthermore, all months since October of 2018, with the exception of February which was plagued by extremely bad weather, have reported positive same-store sales growth when compared with the same month two years ago. The average for two-year sales growth during the previous twelve months was -1.6 percent."
- Restaurant stocks: Arcos Dorados (NYSE:ARCO), Ark Restaurants (NASDAQ:ARKR), Biglari Holdings (NYSE:BH), BJ's Restaurants (NASDAQ:BJRI), Bloomin Brands (NASDAQ:BLMN), Brinker International (NYSE:EAT), Carrols Restaurant Group (NASDAQ:TAST), Chipotle (NYSE:CMG), Chuy's Holdings (NASDAQ:CHUY), Cracker Barrel (NASDAQ:CBRL), Darden Restaurants (NYSE:DRI), Dave & Buster's Entertainment (NASDAQ:PLAY), Del Frisco's Restaurants (NASDAQ:TACO), Del Taco (TACO), Denny's (NASDAQ:DENN), Dine Brands (NYSE:DIN), Domino's Pizza (NYSE:DPZ), Dunkin' Brands (NASDAQ:DNKN), El Pollo Loco (NASDAQ:LOCO), Famous Dave's of America (NASDAQ:DAVE), FAT Brands (NASDAQ:FAT), Fiesta Restaurant Group (NASDAQ:FRGI), J. Alexander's (NYSE:JAX), Jack in the Box (NASDAQ:JACK), McDonald's (NYSE:MCD), Nathan's Famous (NASDAQ:NATH), Noodles (NASDAQ:NDLS), Pepper Food Service (NYSE:PFGC), Performance Food Group (PFGC), RCH Hospitality (NASDAQ:RICK), Red Robin Gourmet (NASDAQ:RRGB), Restaurant Brands International (NYSE:QSR), Ruth's Hospitality (NASDAQ:RUTH), Texas Roadhouse (NASDAQ:TXRH) Cheesecake Factory (NASDAQ:CAKE), Habit Restaurants (NASDAQ:HABT), One Group Hospitality (NASDAQ:STKS), Wendy's (NASDAQ:WEN), Waitr (NASDAQ:WTRH), Wingstop (NASDAQ:WING), Yum China (NYSE:YUMC), Yum Brands (NYSE:YUM).