Dogecoin gains 26% as Elon Musk says Tesla will accept for some merchandise
Dec. 14, 2021 7:19 AM ETDogecoin USD (DOGE-USD), TSLAAMD, AMC, COIN, ETH-USD, BTC-USD, SOL-USD, HOODBy: Liz Kiesche, SA News Editor68 Comments
- Dogecoin (DOGE-USD) drives up 26% to $0.21 after Elon Musk tweets that Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) will accept the cryptocurrency for some of its merch and will "see how it goes."
- That's against a backdrop of bitcoin (BTC-USD) slipping 2.1% to $47.8K, ether (ETH-USD) slipping 3.9% to $3.85K, and Solana (SOL-USD) dropping 5.8% to $158.
- So far that news isn't helping Robinhood Markets (NASDAQ:HOOD), -0.9%, in premarket trading. The company's Q3 earnings miss was driven in large part by the crypto trading dropoff, chiefly the decline in dogecoin.
- Crypto exchange Coinbase Global (NASDAQ:COIN) gains 1.0%.
- Note that last month AMC Entertainment (NYSE:AMC) teased that it would soon start accepting dogecoin (DOGE-USD).