Meta Platforms rolls out Stars payments on Reels video feature
Aug. 17, 2022 2:15 PM ETMeta Platforms, Inc. (META)BDNCEBy: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor10 Comments
- Meta Platforms (NASDAQ:META) has rolled out Stars on Facebook Reels, expanding a way for creators to earn money on Facebook via its short-video platform.
- All creators on Facebook Reels meeting certain criteria will be able to earn through Stars, a virtual good for which Meta pays creators.
- The company had previously made Facebook Stars available to eligible creators on Facebook Live and on-demand video. Adding it to Reels means its feature rival to TikTok (BDNCE) gets the monetization option as well.
- "We want to empower creators with more opportunities to do what they love and help them earn money being their authentic selves," the company said.
- Creators who meet key criteria will be able to tap Stars on Reels (as well as on-demand video and live broadcasts): They must have 1,000 or more followers for 60 consecutive days; they must comply with company policies; and they need to be located in one of 23 countries, including the United States.