Catalyst watch: Tesla reverberations, Intel earnings, Rocket Lab launch and Macau stocks on holiday
Jan. 20, 2023 2:30 PM ETSPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF (SPY)GE, KMI, IBM, SCHW, MSFT, CMCSA, FFIV, T, VZ, LVS, BA, MA, AXP, INTC, TXN, JNJ, LOGI, ABT, PFE, WYNN, CL, MMM, CVX, PLUG, WOLF, LMT, NAVI, BKR, TSEM, SJR, DEO, MLCO, ALB, RCI, TSCO, V, EJTTF, TSLA, GMVHF, AVYAQ, PGEN, AAL, SYF, LC, ABNB, GROM, NKLA, ARDS, MRNA, DOW, BNTX, CL1:COM, GOEV, PXMD, RIVN, RIDE, JDEPF, RKLB, LCID, BAER, HHRS, VTYX, SEV, MBLYBy: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor10 Comments
Welcome to Seeking Alpha's Catalyst Watch - a breakdown of some of next week's actionable events that stand out. Check out Saturday morning's regular Stocks to Watch article for a full list of events planned for the week or the Seeking Alpha earnings calendar for companies due to report.
Monday - January 23
- Volatility watch - Grom Social Enterprises (GROM) and PaxMedica (PXMD) are positioned for a volatile week with short interest at a very high level. Avaya Holdings Corp. (AVYA) is on the list of stocks with the highest implied volatility based on options trading. Also watch Rocket Lab USA (RKLB) with the company set for the Electron launch from Virginia after six separate delays in December.
- All day - Notable companies due to report include Baker Hughes (BKR) and Synchrony Financial (SYF). Options trading implies a 9% swing up or down when Logitech International (LOGI) reports.
- All day - Shareholders with Decarbonization Plus Acquisition Corporation IV (DCRD) will vote on the deal to take energy firm Hammerhead Resources public in a SPAC deal.
- All day - The Chinese New Year holiday will be celebrated all week in China and is expected to lead to a big spike in mobility and a notable short-term jump of oil consumption (CL1:COM) in the nation. Macau casino operators such as Melco Resorts (MLCO), Wynn Resorts (WYNN), and Las Vegas Sands (LVS) also anticipate a boost in retail and gaming traffic.
Tuesday - January 24
- Earnings watch - Notable companies due to report include 3M (MMM), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Verizon (VZ), Lockheed Martin (LMT), General Electric (GE), F5 (FFIV), Texas Instruments (TXN), and Microsoft (MSFT). Options trading implies a double-digit swing up or down when Navient (NAVI) reports.
- All day - Precigen (PGEN) is scheduled to present Phase 2 data on PRGN-2012. Shares of Precigen have rallied in the past off positive PRGN-2012 developments.
- All day - JDE Peet's N.V. (OTCPK:JDEPF) will hold a strategic update meeting.
- 9:00 a.m. Albemarle Corporation (ALB) will host a webcast to provide an update on corporate strategy, including 2023 guidance and a five-year outlook for the company.
- All day - Shareholders with Jack Creek Investment Corp. (JCIC) are set to hold the rescheduled vote on the SPAC deal to take Bridger Aerospace public. The aerial firefighting company is expected to be called Bridger Aerospace Group Holdings and be listed on the NASDAQ Capital Market under the ticker symbol BAER.
- All day - The Canadian Appeals Court will hold a hearing on the merger deal between Rogers Communications (RCI) and Shaw Communications (SJR).
Wednesday - January 25
- Earnings watch - Notable companies due to report include AT&T (T), Abbott Labs (ABT), Boeing (BA), IBM (IBM), and Tesla (TSLA). Options trading implies a double-digit swing when Wolfspeed (WOLF) and LendingClub (LC) report.
- All day - Watch easyJet (OTCQX:EJTTF) with the European airline company posting its trading statement.
- All day - Phase 3 top-line data on Aridis Pharmaceuticals' (ARDS) AR-301 (tosatoxumab) is due to be released.
- All day - Kinder Morgan (KMI) plans to post an investor presentation update to its investor relation website. Shares rallied the last two times the company posted a similar update.
- 4:30 p.m. Plug Power (PLUG) will hold a business update call.
- 5:00 p.m. Nikola (NKLA) will hold a press conference to unveil what it says is an exciting hydrogen solution. The Nikola Tre FCEV will be available for rides at the event and the new mobile fueling trailer will be on display.
- 5:30 p.m. Tesla (TSLA) will hold a conference call after posting Q4 results. Some auto stocks that correlate very tightly with the EV mother ship on earnings day include Rivian Automotive (RIVN), Nikola (NKLA), Lucid Group (LCID), Lordstown Motors (RIDE), Sono Group (SEV), and Canoo (GOEV). Look for some share price jolts depending upon the read-through from Elon Musk and company.
Thursday - January 26
- Earnings watch - Notable companies due to report include Comcast (CMCSA), American Airlines (AAL), Dow (DOW), Intel (INTC), Mastercard (MA), Tractor Supply (TSCO), and Visa (V). Options trading implies a 16% swing up or down when Mobileye Global (MBLY) reports.
- All day - Diageo (DEO) will issue half-year results. Investors will be watching closely to see if the spirits company's prior medium-term guidance for organic net sales growth in the range of 5% to 7% is reiterated.
- All day - The FDA will hold a meeting on COVID-19 boosters that could be relevant for Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Pfizer (PFE), Moderna (MRNA), and BioNTech SE (BNTX).
- All day - Evercore ISI will hold an investor event focused on Airbnb (ABNB).
- 8:30 a.m. BetMGM will release an update. The sports betting property is jointly owned by MGM Resorts (MGM) and Entain (OTCPK:GMVHF). The BetMGM update takes place with reports circulating that MGM is looking to renew its acquisition bid for Entain.
- 9:00 a.m. Ventyx Biosciences (VTYX) will host a R&D event to highlight key aspects of the company's clinical-stage and discovery programs.
- 5:00 p.m. Analysts have circled the Intel (INTC) earnings call as one of the tech events during the week that is most likely to move share price based off the details and tone of the update. Tower Semiconductor (TSEM) shares could also see some movement if Intel management confirms it has no plans to expand chip production in China.
Friday - January 27