HCA Healthcare sends hospital peers lower amid in line guidance
Jan. 27, 2023 8:39 AM ETHCA Healthcare, Inc. (HCA)THC, CYH, UHS, SEM, ACHCBy: Dulan Lokuwithana, SA News Editor2 Comments
- HCA Healthcare (NYSE:HCA) lost ~4% pre-market Friday sending rival hospital operators lower as the industry bellwether issued 2023 guidance in line with expectations.
- Notable decliners include Tenet Healthcare (THC), Community Health Systems (CYH), Universal Health Services (UHS), Acadia Healthcare (ACHC), and Select Medical Holdings (SEM).
- HCA Healthcare (HCA) posted $15.5B revenue for the quarter falling short of Street forecasts, while its full-year revenue stood at $60.2B, indicating ~3% YoY growth.
- Same facility equivalent admissions fell short of estimates to reach 525.7K with ~3% YoY growth, while same facility revenue per equivalent admission fell ~3% YoY to $16.6K, better than the ~0.3% decline forecasted by analysts.
- Meanwhile, expenses on salaries and benefits held steady from the previous year at $7.1B, but adjusted EBITDA slightly missed estimates at $3.2B as the adjusted EBITDA margin dropped 40bps to ~20.5%.
HCA (HCA) exceeded Street forecasts for its earnings as the company recorded $7.28 in net income per diluted share, and its full-year net income stood at $5.6B with ~19% YoY decline as salaries and benefits made up ~46% of the topline, indicating 40bps increase from 2021. Meanwhile, the adj. EBITDA for the year fell ~5% YoY to $12.1B.
- The company projects its 2023 revenue to reach $61.5B – $63.5B compared to $62.8B in the consensus and earnings per diluted share and adjusted EBITDA to stand at $16.40 - $17.60 and $11.8B – $12.4B, respectively.
- Read: Seeking Alpha contributor Mike Zaccardi wrote ahead of HCA’s (HCA) Q4 earnings that the company “looks like a reasonable value.”