Seeking Alpha PRO
- What is SA PRO?
- SA PRO is a subscription-only platform that gives subscribers exclusive early access to the best long and short ideas on Seeking Alpha and to our best small- and mid-cap research, as well as exclusive access to our research library of these articles.
- Will I be paid for articles selected for SA PRO?
- Articles selected for SA PRO are in two categories - “PRO Top Ideas” and “PRO”. For each Top Idea, you will earn a minimum of $500 and receive one month of free SA PRO access. For PRO, you will earn a minimum of $150. (See article selection and Payment FAQ below)
- What other benefits are there to contributing to SA PRO?
- In addition to financial compensation and access to SA PRO, publishing Top Ideas allows you to further differentiate your articles on the SA site. Each Top idea will be clearly marked as such, even after the article becomes available for non-subscribers, and Top Ideas will be promoted on the SA homepage. PRO articles are similarly marked distinctly.
- When do I receive my free access?
- You receive your free access as soon as your Top Idea is published. This also applies if you have an active PRO subscription, in which case your subscription renewal date will be extended by a period equal to the period of free access that you receive.
- How can I submit a Top idea or a PRO article?
- All exclusive articles with a primary ticker are eligible for potential Top Idea and PRO publication. A dedicated team of editors will be reviewing article submissions and selecting articles for Top Idea or PRO where appropriate. If you want to highlight a submission for our attention, please write “Intended for PRO” in the “Note to editors” section of the submissions interface. You may also specify which category (Top Idea or PRO) you are looking for consideration in.
To submit a Premium (exclusive) article, simply click on one of the many Submit Article buttons throughout the site, or go to your Contributor Center and select "Write an Article."
- What exactly is a Top Idea?
- High-conviction long/short ideas with asymmetric risk/reward. More specifically, we look for:
• Context: Why does this opportunity exist? Why is the stock under/overpriced?
• Scope: How big is the opportunity? How big is the downside risk?
• Catalyst: What might drive the change in investor perception/share price?
• Timeframe: Is this a multi-year play, or a short-term opportunity?
We also recommend including an executive summary that briefly outlines the investment opportunity, and the title of the article should indicate the company’s name and the direction of the call.
This is not an exhaustive set of criteria, and we reserve the right to use editorial discretion in choosing articles.
- Can’t you just tell me which stocks you want me to rate?
- No. We’re not trying to imitate the sell side by rating stocks. We believe opportunity-driven research is vastly superior to coverage-driven research.
- Do PRO authors need to be fund managers or accredited?
- No. The common denominator among PRO authors is that they’re very good at identifying asymmetric risk/reward opportunities or doing high-quality research on underfollowed stocks, and that they put their theses in writing to help other investors and themselves.
- What exactly is PRO (formerly Small-Cap Insight)?
- Insightful analysis of stocks that lack high-quality coverage. More specifically, we look for:
• Dearth of coverage: Companies that lack high-quality research on Seeking Alpha over recent months. Generally, we look at the past three months to assess previous coverage.
• Insight: What insight do you have beyond the numbers about this stock that professional investors need to know?
• Quality: PRO articles should be convincing, well-written, and suitable for a financial professional audience.
What’s the difference between a PRO article and a PRO Top Idea?
Top Ideas are limited to long and short ideas that identify asymmetric risk/reward opportunities, often in small-cap stocks, and tend to stand out as very compelling ideas. PRO articles do not need to have a long/short bias, and aren’t limited to asymmetric risk/reward opportunities.
Can a PRO article also receive payment as a Top Idea?
No. The author will receive the greatest reward payment (Top Idea).
How can I determine whether a stock has a dearth of high-quality coverage?
Check its quote page on SA. There are no hard and fast rules, but if a company has more than 3 primary ticker articles over the past 30 days, or more than three PRO articles in the last three months, it’s unlikely an article will be considered for PRO. You are welcome to contact the PRO editorial team at pro-editors at seekingalpha.com to inquire about past coverage on a given ticker.
What’s more important - identifying an under-covered stock, or the quality of my analysis?
Both. We want to expand our coverage of stocks traditionally neglected by research houses. But we aren’t looking to fill the gap with mediocre analysis, so once you’ve identified that a stock is under-covered, it’s all about the quality of your insight.
- Are Top Ideas and PRO articles eventually made available to all SA users?
- Top Ideas and PRO articles are available exclusively to SA PRO subscribers for the first 24 hours. After the embargo ends, the articles are automatically made available to all SA users and syndicated to our content partners.
- Your embargo is “24 hours from time of publish.” How do you deal with Fridays and pre-holiday market days?
- We publish Top Ideas at 5:00 AM on market days. This ensures that PRO subscribers get one market session of exclusive access to consider Top Ideas. Top Ideas submissions received after 2:00 AM on market days will be held for publication until the next market day. To ensure we have enough time to review and feedback your article, please try to submit as early as possible. We do not have any scheduling restrictions for when we publish other PRO articles.
- How long will a Top Idea or PRO article be available to all SA users?
- Once available to all SA users, it remains fully accessible for 30 days. After 30 days, only SA PRO subscribers will have continued access to the article. Non-subscribers will continue to have access to the comments on any SA PRO articles on which they commented and contributed to the discussion.
- Can a contributor access his own articles after 30 days?
- Can I opt out of having my article published as PRO?
- Yes, but we hope you don’t! Please let us know (email@example.com) if you have any concerns we might be able to address.
- Can I update my Top Idea thesis when there are material changes? Will the revised thesis be eligible for Top Idea status?
- Yes, providing there is new material sufficient for a fresh opportunity.
- Do you accept Top Ideas on stocks that have already had a Top Idea thesis?
- If you’re taking the other side of the trade, then of course! If you’re on the same side of the trade, but your thesis is materially different than the previous article’s, then yes.
- Is there a minimum market cap for the stocks covered in Top Ideas?
- An article about a stock trading at less than $1 or with a market cap below $100 million will see extra scrutiny but is still eligible for publication.
- Can I write a Top Idea on a non-U.S.-traded security?
- No. The subject of a Top Idea need not be a U.S. company, but it must be U.S. traded - either U.S. listed, via ADRs or on the pink sheets.
- Who should I contact if I have further questions?
- If you have any questions or suggestions, you can contact the PRO editorial team at firstname.lastname@example.org.