Last Updated: Dec. 31, 2017
Important Note: These Contributor Terms take effect on December 27, 2017, but you hereby acknowledge and agree that these Contributor Terms shall also apply retroactively to any Articles (defined below) submitted prior to such effective date ("Prior Submitted Articles"); accordingly, Seeking Alpha may exercise its rights under these Contributor Terms in respect of such Prior Submitted Articles (for example, by publishing Prior Submitted Articles behind a "paywall").
General terms regarding Article submissions:
- For the avoidance of doubt, an article you submit (an "Article") is a User Submission under the TOU, and (except as further described below in respect of Exclusive Articles) is therefore subject to the User Submission license granted to Seeking Alpha in Section 8 of the TOU (the "User Submission License").
- Seeking Alpha, at its sole discretion, may make Articles freely available, place Articles behind any “paywall” and require users to pay to access the Article, embargo Articles for paying subscribers, or any combination of the above.
- Seeking Alpha takes reasonable commercial measures to prevent Articles from being republished by other websites or via other technologies. However, Seeking Alpha is not responsible or liable for any actions of third parties, including the publication of Exclusive Articles without Seeking Alpha's consent.
- Seeking Alpha takes certain steps to check whether Articles are free from plagiarism. Proper attribution of content taken verbatim from other sources requires the use of quotation marks and attribution links or footnotes. This includes, but is not limited to, passages taken verbatim from SEC filings, press releases, and other company documents and sources. Plagiarism can also include the submission or posting of content that is repurposed from other sources and presented without reference to the content's creator. This includes, but is not limited to, content that is paraphrased from another source or could otherwise be deemed by a reasonable person to be a derivative work. Seeking Alpha reserves the right to determine if Articles contain plagiarism and may, at its discretion, remove plagiarized content and withhold and/or offset all payment for Articles deemed by us to contain plagiarized elements.
- Seeking Alpha's aggregate liability to you under the Contributor Partnership Program for all claims of any sort will be as follows: (i) for claims relating to a specific Article, the amount that Seeking Alpha has paid you (if any) for that Article; and (ii) for all other claims, the amount that it has paid you (if any) for Articles under this Contributor Partnership Program during the six (6) month period prior to your bringing your claim.
- We may terminate, suspend or modify the Contributor Partnership Program at any time and without notice or obligation to you. You may terminate your participation in the Contributor Partnership Program by not submitting any additional Articles. Termination of the Contributor Partnership Program, or of your participation in the Contributor Partnership Program, shall not terminate any license rights granted to Seeking Alpha for Articles submitted prior to such termination.
- For the avoidance of doubt, these Contributor Terms shall also apply to third-party content acquired by Seeking Alpha through an agreement with the author to monitor his/her independent content feed and repost his/her content at our discretion.
- By selecting "An article that can be published only on Seeking Alpha" (herein referred to as "Exclusive Article") when you submit an Article, you agree that Seeking Alpha will be your exclusive publisher for that Exclusive Article, for both online (such as the Site, but also select partner platforms) and offline media. Accordingly:
- The User Submission License for said Exclusive Article shall be exclusive (instead of non-exclusive) to Seeking Alpha.
- You represent and warrant that: (i) you have not published (or otherwise made available) the Exclusive Article, and will not publish it (or otherwise make it available) on any online or offline media, and (ii) you have not granted, and will not grant, any right or license to any third party that conflicts or is inconsistent with the license you grant Seeking Alpha media.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may publish a headline and/or brief summary/snippet of the Exclusive Article (up to 250 words but no more than 1/3 of the total Exclusive Article) on any online media, and link to the full Exclusive Article on the online media on which it appears. The brief summary or snippet may not include charts or images.
- References in these Contributor Terms to an "Exclusive Article" shall also be deemed to include and apply to any article (or similar Content) that is substantially similar to the Exclusive Article, or that is a derivative work of the Exclusive Article. For example, you may not publish a translated version of an Exclusive Article on any online or offline media.
Additional terms for the SA Marketplace Premium Author Program:
- Authors approved for the SA Marketplace as Premium Authors set their own yearly subscription pricing for their publications. Monthly pricing is, unless otherwise requested and approved, determined by dividing yearly pricing by 8.
- Seeking Alpha receives 25% of all collected subscription revenue as a platform fee; the author receives the other 75%.
- Payments to Premium Authors are made monthly and are based on earned subscription income for that month. Earned income is calculated by looking at the amount collected from subscribers and amortized daily over the subscription period. For example, the monthly payment for a $200 annual subscription purchased by a user would be 1/12 of $200 ($16.67) less 25% for a total of $12.50, assuming the user was subscribed at the beginning of the month. The monthly payment for a $25 monthly subscription would be $18.75.
- Subscribers may unsubscribe at any time, no questions asked. Users who unsubscribe will receive a pro-rated refund for any unused months on their subscription. There is no minimum payment. In all such cases, the same 25/75 split will apply on all collected funds.
- While refunds are pro-rated, Seeking Alpha may at its discretion decide to issue a retroactive refund.
- Subscription businesses take time and effort to build. In this light, Premium Authors are asked to commit to their Premium publications for a minimum of one year from launch. This is not a legal obligation, but a request to ensure we’re partnering with authors who are committing to giving premium publications a fair shot. However, authors may, at their discretion, opt out of SA Marketplace at any time, resulting in a pro-rata refund of all outstanding collected fees to subscribers.
- Authors agree that Seeking Alpha can market their Premium publications across the Seeking Alpha site and newsletters as well as on select partner platforms or marketing channels in order to generate more publicity for the publications and SA Marketplace.
- Authors own the copyright to all material created within their Premium publications. Seeking Alpha hosts authors’ content on their behalf.
- Seeking Alpha does not offer investment advice. Seeking Alpha is a platform for providers (authors) to publish investment analysis for their subscribers (readers), for which Seeking Alpha takes a nominal platform fee. It is the responsibility of authors and readers to ensure that all their communications, marketing and content are in compliance with generally accepted principles of investment advisory, and to seek legal advice if unsure as to the legality of their publication.
- Seeking Alpha does not review, edit or curate the content published by Premium Authors to their subscribers.
- Communications between authors and subscribers through Seeking Alpha will not include specific, personalized investment advice to the subscriber. If the author is a registered investment advisor the author will include this in the author’s bio and advice provided to a subscriber will be clearly presented by the author as their own advice and not that of Seeking Alpha.
- Authors who are company insiders are explicitly prohibited from publishing any content in their publications that relates to their company.
- Authors will make best efforts to regularly publish content to their premium publication.
- We may terminate or change the SA Marketplace terms at any time. We may, at our sole discretion, remove a Premium Author from the program. When a Premium Author is removed from the SA Marketplace, the applicable publication/s will be discontinued, and Seeking Alpha will refund any unfulfilled portion of the subscriber subscriptions.
- Terms and conditions of our payment scheme for the Contributor Partnership Program ("Contributor Payment Terms") can be found in our Contributor Payment Terms.