John Miller

View John Miller's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Understanding The Gold Trade: Why Gold Hates Inflation [View article]
    Thanks for all the comments. I think there is a lot we agree on actually. I don't like to get into semantics arguments or take ideas to illogical extremes.
    Jan 14, 2015. 06:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Understanding The Gold Trade: Why Gold Hates Inflation [View article]
    The real rate matters to the Chinese, and others, who have too make a decision between gold or U.S. debt.
    Jan 14, 2015. 02:27 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Anyone Buying Long-Term Treasuries? [View article]
    Thank you for the article. Only disagreement is I believe the Euro bonds' or Japanese bonds' bubble will burst before the Treasury bubble (and not simultaneous) and we will see those funds flow into the US treasuries driving prices higher and yeilds lower.
    Jan 12, 2015. 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Newmont Breaks Ground At $1 Billion Merian Mine In Suriname [View article]
    See comment below.
    Jan 6, 2015. 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Newmont Breaks Ground At $1 Billion Merian Mine In Suriname [View article]
    Check out this about gold supply:

Jan 6, 2015. 07:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Greenspan Is Long Gold And Dissing Fiat Currencies [View article]
    Not sure if you read the debate from the link I provided at the beginning of the article? Or if you have read his recent book. The following is from the debate:

"But do you think that gold is currently a good investment given what you're saying about the potential for turmoil?"

"Yes"

I spent a lot more energy trying to get the macro economic argument at the beginning right from his view than worrying about the integrity of this title. In any case, before you pass final ethical judgement upon me, please consider: I provided the links to source material for any quotes, the volume/proportion of direct quotes is very high, and if the spirit of his words were captured.
    Jan 3, 2015. 10:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Greenspan Is Long Gold And Dissing Fiat Currencies [View article]
    The strongest correlation for gold prices since the crisis is US gov. bond prices, ie inverse to their yield. This is logical because subdued real rates of interest are positive for gold. In other words, physical assets perform well in a zero rate environ. coupled with modest inflation.
    Jan 2, 2015. 11:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Gold Discoveries Plunge, Peak Gold In 2015 Predicted [View article]
    Merian is great add for Newmont. Only draw backs are the 4 million resources was estimated using $1300 gold price and higher political risks than average of the portfolio. Been working on a piece about Merian this week.
    Dec 26, 2014. 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Gold Discoveries Plunge, Peak Gold In 2015 Predicted [View article]
    When you have any trouble getting back year gold Eagles and Maples near spot please let me know.
    Dec 26, 2014. 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Gold Discoveries Plunge, Peak Gold In 2015 Predicted [View article]
    Thanks for the post and the heads-up on grades.
    Dec 25, 2014. 01:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Snapshot Of Central Bank Thinking [View article]
    When you say the ECB's credibility is on the line what do you mean? They are credible in their talk to buy sovereign bonds with little sterilization? Or do you mean the opposite, that if they choose to monetize the PIGS debt that ruins their credibility?
    Nov 27, 2014. 12:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Despite Recent Blood, Gold Crushing S&P 500 Total Return [View article]
    Means prices are way down recently, also plays off the "blood in the streets" discussion in the article. Did you really not know or just.....?
    Nov 25, 2014. 01:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Shorts Welcome Draghi To The Rescue [View article]
    I did carefully read your article and others you have posted recently and think you have good points but.....

You said:

"U.S. inflation worries or not, if the ECB acts in a manner similar to the BOJ, the dollar is supported further. It is precisely dollar support that has driven the price of all commodities lower lately, and it is behind the determined drive lower in gold."

I am saying that longer term this is not set in stone. Look at the DXY to Gold chart.

I will add again that receding inflation concerns in the US would be positive for gold because it would limit US rate hikes. I think you think inflation would be good for gold prices but don't want to speak for you.

I am not trolling you, just trying to discuss, please do not respond to me to read the article, I am honestly trying to understand your points.
    Nov 21, 2014. 08:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Shorts Welcome Draghi To The Rescue [View article]
    One assumption you may have wrong (sorry if you are not saying this) is the assumption that a weaker Euro and dollar strength will be bad for gold in the mid-term. Take a look at the DXY to Gold price chart in this article: http://bit.ly/1F8eShE

I'll add that if inflation fears wane the Fed will use this as an excuse not to raise rates. I think you are assuming if inflation fears continue that it would help gold. I think it is the opposite.
    Nov 21, 2014. 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Eyes ECB, Preps For Eurozone QE [View article]
    I think the basic idea is to add liquidity. Keep in mind they would basically be crediting bank accounts Euros. Also to drive up asset prices to create the wealth effect and generally raise prices in the whole system which could have a trickle around effect. Explanation is not an endorsement.
    Nov 20, 2014. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment