View as an RSS Feed
View Stephen Rosenman's Articles BY TICKER:
AAPL, ABCB, AKAM, AMX, AMZN, ANAD, ANF, ANN, ARO, AZO, BA, BAC, BANC, BANR, BBRY, BBT, BC, BKE, BKJ, BODY, BOFI, BZH, CACB, CALM, CAT, CBSH, CHK, CHS, CNOB, COB, COLB, CSOD, CVX, CWAY, DELL, DHI, DIA, DNKN, DRYS, EFSC, F, FCNCA, FDEF, FMER, GOOG, GSBC, HFC, HFWA, HITT, HOMB, HOME, HPQ, HTBI, INTC, ISRG, JAPAF, JCP, JO, JWN, KMB, KMP, KO, LB, LKFN, LO, M, MBFI, MDR, MNST, MSFT, MTSI, NBBC, NOK, NYCB, OLBK, ONB, ORIT, OVTI, OZRK, PCBK, PCP, PETM, PG, PH, PM, PPC, PSMI, RJF, SAP, SFNC, SJM, SPF, SSNLF, STMP, STSA, SWKS, SYBT, T, TC, TEVA, TIF, TOL, TQNT, TSBK, UNTY, UVSP, V, VLY, VZ, WDAY, WEBK, XLF
Update: Lafley Makes It Interesting At Procter & Gamble
- Procter & Gamble is hiving off its Duracell division, likely through a spin off.
- The company has been shedding non-core assets.
- I expect a major product acquisition.
Great Southern Bancorp: Trouncing Analyst Estimates For Four Years
- Great Southern Bancorp beat analyst forecasts by 46%.
- The bank has consistently surpassed expectations by wide margins for 11 consecutive quarters.
- Multiple catalysts will drive earnings - and continue the bank's pattern of eclipsing estimates.
Kimberly-Clark: Could Its Halyard Spin-Off Protect Your Portfolio In A Germ-Filled World?
- Kimberly-Clark is about to spin-off Halyard, its healthcare division.
- Most of Halyard's sales come from surgical and infection protection.
- Orders for these products will likely climb as medical professionals combat Ebola.
BofI Holding: Powerball, Legal Settlements, Costco, MultiFamily, And Soon H&R Block's Bank
- Without physical branch offices, BofI Holding has a disruptive model.
- Management has launched new product lines that have driven consistent 20% plus growth.
- BofI is about to complete a transformative acquisition.
FirstMerit Corporation: Repeatedly Missing Estimates Doesn't Inspire Confidence
- Despite earlier M&A, FirstMerit Corporation risks earnings stagnation.
- The bank has missed four consecutive quarters.
- Once its acquired and covered loan portfolios disappear, FirstMerit may have trouble maintaining its earnings.
Peregrine Semiconductor: Heed Management's Warnings Of Further Market Share Loss
- Peregrine Semiconductor lost important share in the iPhone.
- Other companies are gaining at Peregrine's expense.
- It is unlikely Peregrine can succeed against better-capitalized and run companies.
Underwhelming Deposit Base Stymies Oritani Financial Corp
- Oritani Financial Corp. faces a highly competitive loan environment.
- As a result, loan yields are falling.
- The bank relies on expensive borrowings to fund loans, and cannot compensate by moving to low-cost deposits.
Simmons First: Adeptly Playing 'Let's Make A Deal'
- Simmons First National Corporation is ambitiously acquiring 4 banks in less than a year.
- Three of the targets are high quality banks while the fourth was acquired at an unusually good price.
- The acquisitions will likely more than double earnings per share.
Bank Of The Ozarks: What Happens When An Arkansas Bank Opens In New York City
- Bank Of The Ozarks is transforming from a small regional bank to a coast-to-coast financial.
- Its already strong loan growth is accelerating.
- The recently opened New York office has more than doubled its loans in a quarter.
Old Line Bancshares: Over Promising And Under Delivering
- Old Line Bancshares has underperformed this year.
- Its acquisition of WSB has not lived up to expectations.
- Until OLBK proves the wisdom of the takeover, investors are best to stay away.
Univest Corp. Of PA: Can The Bank Make It In The Big City?
- Univest Corp. of PA is acquiring Valley Green Bank, one of the strongest small community banks in the country.
- Up until now, Univest has served largely rural areas in Bucks and Montgomery counties.
- Valley Green Bank gives it an entry into Philadelphia.
Great Southern Bancorp: How To Build A Regional Powerhouse Without Dilution And Still Be Ignored
- Great Southern Bancorp is trading at valuations usually reserved for mundane community banks.
- Great Southern just announced its fifth failed bank acquisition.
- The bank might be ready to get its story out.
Bancorp Of New Jersey: Growth At A Discount
- Bancorp of New Jersey has underperformed its benchmark, perhaps in reaction to the death of its CEO.
- Yet, the underlying story of growth appears intact.
- Earnings should power share price as its newer branches mature.
Unity Bancorp: A Bank Ripe For The Taking
- Unity Bancorp has been growing its assets and taking out costs.
- The bank recently paid off its TARP obligation.
- This financial is worth 30% more to an acquirer.
Ameris Bancorp: A Crisis Is A Terrible Thing To Waste
- Ameris Bancorp has been voraciously acquiring banks throughout the Southeast.
- The bank is inexpensive for a serial acquirer.
- Price to earnings valuation look even more appealing on forward earnings.
Bank Of The Ozarks: Investing With The Smartest Banking Team
- Bank of the Ozarks has been a lending juggernaut, opportunistically expanding its loan portfolio.
- In the past, Texas has been behind the lion's share of its organic loan growth.
- For the first time, other regions are making significant contributions, signaling that the bank will have multiple new growth drivers.
Oritani Financial Corp.: Do You Go For Bank Yield In New Jersey?
- Oritani has rewarded shareholders handsomely with regular and special dividends.
- It has room for even a greater capital return.
- The strong loan portfolio has the advantage of having both longer-term durations and variable interest.
- Its major challenge is on the deposit side.
Enterprise Financial Services Corp.: As Its FDIC-Assisted Portfolio Runs Off, The Bank Needs An Act II
- Enterprise Financial Services Corp.'s net income has been contracting as interest income declines.
- Once a major driver of income, its high-yielding purchased credit impaired loans are quickly running off.
- Without its PCI loan portfolio, Enterprise's earnings will underwhelm.
The Buckle: Being Treated Like 'Real Owners'
- Buckle doesn't get enough credit for its dividend policy.
- Special dividends have been coming every year.
- Over the last 5 years, the dividend represents an impressive 16.7% share of revenue.
ConnectOne Bancorp: Upcoming Merger Provides Fuel For Continued Rapid Growth
- ConnectOne Bancorp delivered a strong quarter the day the market sent financials down.
- Yet, the regional bank beat estimates by 5 cents as loans grew at a 32% annualized rate.
- The bank is near to completing its MOE with Center Bancorp, a deal to fuel ConnectOne's growth by providing a ready source of deposits.
Commerce Bancshares: Is The M&A Titan Awakening?
- Commerce Bancshares has a strong history of capital shareholder return.
- However, the bank may have trouble growing its earnings.
- After a long pause, management may be returning to M&A.
- If the bank becomes more active acquiring other financials, Commerce would be unstoppable.
Home BancShares: Efficiently Taking M&A To A New Level
- Home Bancshares has a history of successful acquisitions.
- The bank's purchase of Liberty Bank could accelerate earnings growth beyond expectations.
- Another acquisition should occur this year.
Banc Of California: Can A Cost Meat Cleaver Cure This Bank?
- Banc of California has experienced startling growth through acquisition.
- The bank has seen runaway costs.
- It is doubtful management can tighten their belt enough to deliver an earnings surprise.
Simmons First National Corporation: Acquisition Might Challenge Balance Sheet
- SFNC is purchasing Delta Trust & Bank, the latest in a string of acquisitions.
- The heavy M&A coupled with an inefficient operation has stressed the balance sheet.
- SFNC has begun to take steps to improve cost control.
- Takeovers might need to wait.
Great Southern Bancorp: Revenue And Earnings Growth At A Market Discount
- Great Southern trades at a TBV and P/E discount, despite having growth and strong credit quality.
- The bank was able to increase its loan portfolio, even though over half of its loans matured in 2013.
- The bank has opportunistically acquired banks, branches, loan, and deposit portfolios.
Below Tangible Book, You Can Bank On Ambitious HomeTrust Bancshares
- HomeTrust has been acquiring unloved banks at rock-bottom prices.
- The bank trades below TBV.
- Return on assets is trending higher.
- Lakeland Financial: Why This Boring Indiana Bank Is Beating Other Regionals
- Banner Corporation: Profiting From The Umpqa-Sterling Merger
- First Defiance Financial: Can This Small-Town Bank Make It In The City?
- Kinder Morgan Energy Partners' Equity Offering: Nothing Unusual
- Home Federal Bancorp: Low-Risk Investment With Potential 30% To 48% Annualized Return
- ConnectOne Bancorp: Underfollowed Bank Hiding 30 Minutes Outside Of Wall Street